Topic: Should women travel ‘alone’ in Latin America?
Competition deadline: June 26, 2017
Winners Announced: August 2017
Entry fee: Free
First place prize: US$100
Submission language: English
Competition winners: Selected winning entries will be included in the 2017 Alone Together anthology published by the Bogota International Press.
The top entry will win the first place cash prize and will also be published in a prominent position in the anthology.
Alone Together will be approximately 250 pages in length. Estimated publication date is November 2017.
Categories: We accept fiction, narrative nonfiction, essays, and poetry. All entries must be based on personal experience.
Length: Submissions should be a maximum of 5,000 words.
Want some tips on the type of entries we’re looking for? See our Submission Tips page.
Send your submission to: submissions (at) womentravellatinamerica.com.
- We only accept submissions by email. Please send us only .doc or .docx files (or the equivalent).
- We encourage writers from around the world to submit work based on their personal experiences.
- Please do not include your name on any pages of your entry. Only include your name in the body of the email when you send the submission; the first page of the submission should only include the title of the piece.
- We accept only one submission per writer per category. In the body of the email please state the category: fiction, narrative nonfiction, essay, or poetry.
- Include a short bio about yourself in the body of the email. Impress us with how you feel about empowering women to travel.
- You will receive an email confirmation shortly after we receive your submission.
- The competition is international and open to all women authors.
- We will announce the winners of the competition by email to all participants, as well as on the WTLA website and social media, by August 15.
- Competition finalists will have ten days to accept the decision and sign the contract.
- Send your submission to: submissions (at) womentravellatinamerica.com.
And a few more details:
- Any correspondence other than submissions should be directeded to: editor (at) womentravellatinamerica.com.
- The cash prize will be paid through PayPal.
- Participants retain the copyright of their submission.
- If your work has been previously published, you must provide proof that you have the rights to republish.
- Since this is our first edition and our budget is limited, we unfortunately cannot offer payment for accepted entries at this time.
- This competition is anonymous and will be blind judged.
- Each competition judge will read approximately a third of the entries submitted and will shortlist 15. The judges will then read all the shortlisted entries and jointly select one winning entry along with 29 finalists to be published in Alone Together.
- Submissions by family members of the judges will not be accepted into the competition.